O.Sodbileg discusses candidacy, proposed election structure

O.Sodbileg of the MPP has released a proposal for an election structure. He spoke with our correspondent about it.

Q: Is it true that you will be a candidate in the 2012 election?

A: Yes. I will be a candidate from Orkhon aimag in the 2012 parliamentary election.

Q: What are your goals?

A: I want to use my knowledge to improve the lives of the citizens of Orkhon aimag. My father, Sh.Otgonbileg [Labor Hero and former MP], did many substantial works to develop the country when he worked in Erdenet. I want to continue the work he started and to contribute my share, not only in Orkhon aimag but also in the development of Mongolia.

Q: How would you differ from current MPs?

A: I can’t see that there have been efforts to improve the lives of the citizens of Orkhon aimag. That is why I have prepared a development program for Orkhon aimag and the program has detailed solutions.

Q: Which election structure do you prefer?

A: MPs have not decided an election structure yet. The MPP and the DP prefer a merged structure but the number of electoral districts has not been decided. The issue has not been decided for a long time and people are losing faith in politicians.

I have proposed something that balances the rights of voters and other principles of an election. I believe current MPs will propose gerrymandering methods in the election law to protect their own interests.

I propose that a candidate be nominated from an electoral district according to administrative boundaries and population. I propose 26 seats be chosen by the “majority” method and 50 by the “mandate” method. The total, 76, is in accordance with the Constitution. This is my own idea and the MPs have the right and responsibility to decide the issue.

MPs proposing either a 28-48 or 52-24 election structure have not definitely explained the administration of the districts. This is the time to decide which way is right for the election law. If someone wants to suggest another idea, I would openly accept it.

O.Sodbileg invites people to share their opinions on the election structure on his Facebook page, http://on.fb.me/v2YQcX.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog