Dr. Fran Pilch: Mongolia is a country that is a laboratory of democracy

Professor of Political Science at the United States Air Force Academy, Dr. Fran Pilch arrived in Mongolia via the Fulbright Scholarship Program. Below is her interview translated from “Unuudur” newspaper.

-Hello. First of all, thank you for agreeing to give an interview to “Unuudur” newspaper.

-You’re welcome. I’m also glad to talk with you.

-How about we start our conversation with your impressions of Mongolia? Is it different from what you imagined?

-Not at all. I could define Mongolia as “So wonderful.” The children here made a deep impression on me.

So innocent, open-hearted and always smiling, the children are cute. It was tender that each of them wanted a handshake with me. Currently I haven’t travelled away from Ulaanbaatar. However, Ulaanbaatar is properly known as an energetic city. Students have plenty of aspiration to study. When I first came, many students met me to improve their English. Ulaanbaatar is not stagnant city, it is developing day by day.

-What about other things, you seem amazed only by the children?

-There are two things that are different in Mongolia from the USA. First, it is so cold here. It is good that I wear my warm clothes. The hardest thing is to cross the road. I can’t cross alone. So, I’m learning to walk along with many Mongolians. I want to see some things like a Mongolian art exhibition and I want to enter to a ger. I was so amused that Mongolians can speak so many languages.

-Dr. Pilch we heard that you visited Mongolia by choice. Is that true?

-Yes, I did. Mongolian history is really interesting. It is very sophisticated country. The country also attracted me because it is a developing democratic country. It is a lucky event that I arrived in Mongolia as part of the Fulbright Program.

-Why it is lucky?

-Many participants at the Fulbright Program chose Mongolia. I was selected from all of them to come here. The biggest requirement of the program is a health test. At a checkup in September I received a diagnosis of mastitis. However, the surgery was done successfully and I arrived Mongolia.

-Please, explain about Fulbright Scholarship Program. How can Mongolians participate in this program?

-Fulbright is a scholarship program that provides a chance for scholars from the USA to do research in foreign countries and vice versa. The most important requirements are to be good at English speaking, writing, and be healthy. Receiving a Fulbright scholarship is not easy. It is a big opportunity for a researcher.

When I go back I will help Mongolians in any way possible.

-Do you relate more as a military official or a normal citizen? I hope you understand why I asked you this?

-I understand that your question relates with the Air Force Academy. The Academy trains students as pilots.

I myself am a normal citizen. I used to teach at Rutgers University before being employed by the Academy.

- You teach and lecture on American foreign policy and are a well-qualified researcher in this field. Will you lecture about American foreign policy in Mongolia?

-American foreign policy is included in my lesson curriculum.

-So do you agree with the criticism that American foreign policy has an attitude of dominating and commanding? There are some Mongolians who share this view with me.

-Every President of the US has a different view and policy. As for President Obama, he prefers a transnational policy and relies upon collaboration. He is a wise person. Now the economy of the US is growing, this is the most important thing right now. The US contributes to foreign countries and gets some help back from them. It is the most necessity principle. The US is a country that relies the main responsibilities like developing democracy, supporting, and providing peacefulness in foreign countries.

-Genocide is a main branch of your research.

-Yes, it is.

-The war against Iraq by the US had no necessity and killed many people. No nuclear or bio-chemical weapons were discovered in Iraq.

-I understand what you mean. The US has many critics on that issue. There are also people who don’t like American foreign policy. Every country needs to contribute their support for world peace. I hope they would. As I see it, war will always cause devastation. I think the US Government had powerful confidence when declaring war ton Iraq. But in my opinion it would have been right if the US got support from member countries of the UN Security Council.

-Unfortunately, they didn’t…?

-Yes. Human right violations and despotism going on somewhere are not a good thing. The worldwide differences between yours and mine are becoming less. We are not American or Mongolian; we are people of the world.

-Why does the USA interfere with countries’ issues? Do you think that is right?

-This is not a line of my research. Independence of a country is so important. But if the country violates the public, the UN will discuss the issue.

-So, why did they didn’t agree with the decision of the UN about Iraq?

-It is one of the arguable issues. The attack of September 11 frightened the US. I think the war against Iraq was unplanned, it emerged from that attack.

-Have you met with Mongolian politicians or are you planning on meeting with them?

-I have met none of them. I came here to research gender issues. I released a book about how women’s rights are violated in war areas. So I would like to meet with Mongolian women who are researching women’s rights.

-Will you complete research in the field of politics?

-Surely I’m interested in Mongolian policy on international collaboration. There is a lot for countries to study in Mongolia.

-For example…?

-Mongolia is located between two giant countries, which is not easy. That means neighboring counties will easily influence the country.

-This spring Mongolia and the US both have elections. Who will be selected as President?

-I can’t predict who will be the next American President because the candidate from the Republican Party has not decided yet. I want to see the election process of your country.

-Did your arrival relate with the Mongolian election?

-Why did you ask that question? I’m wondering.

-This is a private thought of mine. Mongolia’s two neighbors want a representative who is favorable to them selected.

-You amaze me. I came here to teach and research. I’m just a teacher.

-Dr. Pilch I didn’t ask about your family. Please introduce your family?

-Yes. I wanted you to ask this. I have two sons and five granddaughters. Everyday I’m connecting with them through the Internet. I often talk about Mongolia to my granddaughters.

I will come back to Mongolia even when I go back to the US during the summer. I hope if I meet with you, I will have several topics to talk with you about.

-Shall we have a deal to meet at that time?

-(smiles) Okay, deal.

-Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog