Madeleine Albright: Mongolia Is A Model Nation

“Mongolia is an amazing nation capable of solving any dispute in a peaceful way” stressed
Ms. Madeleine Albright in her lecture at the Foreign Ministry in Ulaanbaatar on Thursday.

Ex-state secretary of the United States is currently in Mongolia, as the chairman of the National Democratic Institute, for a two-day visit as the guest of Mongolia’s Premier S.Batbold.

On April 21st, Ms. Albright gave a lecture “Celebrating Mongolia’s Democracy: A Special Role in Asia” to the parliament and cabinet members and representatives from civil movements and private sector.

“Mongolia is making important contribution by respecting human rights and freedom” Albright praised in her speech. “I am very glad that Mongolia is managing to develop the democracy that can be a model to the rest of the world” she said.

“Mongolia and Mongolian people are very lucky to have such fabulous natural resources and I believe that Mongolia can also be a model nation by utilizing its natural resource properly like it did with democracy” she stated.

“I am ready to help Mongolia as the chairman of the U.S National Democratic Institute. I believe that Mongolia can make more progress and success in spreading democracy” she concluded.

On the sidelines of the visit, Ms.Madeleine Albright paid a call to Prime Minster of Mongolia S.Batbold and shared views on cooperation of Mongolian government with the National Democratic Institute and the Community of Democracies.

From July 2011 to 2013, Mongolia will chair the Community of Democracies founded by Ms. Madeleine Albright in 2000.

The Community of Democracies is an intergovernmental organization of democracies and democratizing countries with a stated commitment to strengthening and deepening democratic norms and practices worldwide.

Ms. Albright first visited Mongolia in 1998, when she held the office of the U.S Secretary of State.

U.B. Post: Thank you very much for taking time for us, I would like to ask you about your view on Mongolian democracy and the differences you see after your last visit in 1998?

Ms. Albright: I really am proud of what is happening in Mongolia, because there had been elections, the parliament is functioning, president, prime minister, coalition government, and a lot of reforms are taking place. Mongolia is very much involved in democracy and working on economic development, and political development and I do believe that it can be a role model and I am really glad that Mongolia is going to be hosting the ‘Community of Democracy’. I think Mongolia is playing a very important role.

U.B. Post: After discussing about the democracy in Mongolia please tell us how we can benefit from democracy and what can be done to overcome these challenges we face?

Ms. A: Well all democracies face challenges, even the U S. I think the main thing is as I always say for a democracy to flourish the people of the country should get benefits of being run by a democratic government and having the choices to make, and I think it is important that the reforms process continue, there should be transparency, accountability, I think there is an issue in all democracy, that is corruption , I think Mongolia is a very lucky country, to have such a great amount of natural resources so I think that there is a great chance of people going to benefit from this great pool of resources, since political and economical development go together.

U.B. Post: I would like to ask you about one of the main pressures faced by any democracy. It is the freedom of press? How about it is in the US? Could you just compare the freedom of press in US and Mongolia?
Ms. A: I tell you that we have a very large press and we have a lot of informal press and blogs and various social networks and I think that every country has a difference. But it seems to me again that I have not been here long enough to make a fair assessment but I can sense it that you can ask me whatever you want and I have to answer it and I think that you do the same to your leaders.

U.B. Post: You are one of the pioneers in developing democracy all over the world and Mongolia is to join in it in July of this year. Can you tell us about how it all started?

Ms. A: Its an Idea that came about 11 years ago and I was the Secretary and I treasure democracy and I think that it is something like very special gift we have and that democracies are to help each other a lot and there are more and more democracies and the idea was that if a group of democracies got together we can figure out what would be the best practices were and what could work in my country and what would work in another country. And some democracies are in trouble in some countries some others can help. And we started off and I found a wonderful person who was the prime minister of Poland, who was a part of the ‘Saligary’ movement, and he was hard working person and really wanted to have the first meeting in Warsaw, so the attitude in Warsaw can be next to other than Prague. So we had a lot of inspiration and we could find out the best practices, now there large group of countries who are members, we have enlarged the number of countries who are conveners and Mongolia is a very important country to be hosting the Community of Democracy and it’s a country that gained independence from the former soviet union, Mongolia will be celebrating its independence so very soon and there are so many reasons and the vision of the Community of Democracy is being better accomplished than we had imagined.

U.B. Post: Which kind of activity can Mongolia be involved and what advice you have to give to us? Ms. A: I think that the Community of Democracy has so many ways to do good things to the parliament because it is part of how democracy works. Is also very wonderful for Mongolia to be on the world stage. I think that it will open up as far as the people are concerned, and about the amazing things that are happening here, the beauty of Mongolia and I am sure that it will do very well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog