Colwyn Bay explorer praised by Sir Ranulph Fiennes for his Mongolia trek

The renowned adventurer has applauded Ash Dykes after he became the first man to single-handedly cross the breadth of Mongolia by saying it was 'an example of great determination'

An intrepid Colwyn Bay adventurer has described receiving praise from “the greatest living explorer”, as “crazy".

Sir Ranulph Fiennes made the comments, about Ash Dykes’s record breaking, single-handed walk across 1,500 miles of harsh Mongolian terrain, yesterday.

“I applaud every endeavour to achieve an adventuring first - a feat which is becoming harder all the time,” said Sir Ranulph.

“This young man’s completion of a first solo trek across Mongolia, from the Altai to the Steppe, will have proved both physically and mentally challenging and is an example of great determination.”

Ash, still only 23 years old, is busy recalling his experiences for a book and documentary about the world-first journey — scheduled to be released in around a year’s time.

He said: “It’s crazy isn’t it? I wasn’t expecting that, for it to be recognised by the greatest living explorer.

“I think it’s just amazing what he has done. I would like to meet him.”

Ash revealed his wanderlust is still intact despite coming back to his home comforts and his busy schedule was keeping him in North Wales — for the moment.

“I think if I came back and it wasn’t so busy with the book and the documentary, I would be looking to leave immediately.

“I’m also in training because I lost 10kg while I was away.”

The young pioneer has been signed up by Speakers From The Edge, an organisation of explorers who give motivational talks to corporate clients.

He joked: “I better start practising my talks. Look, I’m just lucky to keep this as some kind of career.”

He also let slip there’s another big project in the pipeline, although he would not be drawn on exactly what it is, he did give one crumb of information.

Ash said: “It will be another possible world record.

“But I’m not saying anything because I’ve not checked it with the Guinness Book of Records yet. It will be in the Southern Hemisphere though.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog