D.Oyunsuren: ‘I have a lot of respect for our expatriates living in Mongolia.’

Columnist Allyson Seaborn has a new and intimate series of questions she will be asking interesting Mongolian nationals each week. This new feature exposes their passions and memories about the land of eternal blue skies and sheds light on their past and future hopes. We look forward to bringing you on a new journey of discovery and hope you enjoy reading what these unique individuals have to share with readers.

Our first installment features Oyunsuren Duragjav. Oyunsuren currently runs the American School of Ulaanbaatar (ASU) in Mongolia and has been the Managing Director of the school since 2006.

-Where were you born and where did you grow up?

-I was born in Ulaanbaatar and moved to several different areas of Ulaanbaatar during my teenage years. I first lived on the right side of the State Department Store and then moved to the 19th micro-region. I attended school No. 24 for elementary school and school No. 52 for my secondary education. I have 11 siblings in my family and our lives where always busy and fun.

-Describe your most vivid childhood memory.

-When I was in school, I used to tailor-make my own school uniform. I used to take my parent’s used clothes and use the material for making clothes for myself and my siblings. My mother was very good at sewing and she taught me everything. I used to make clothes that I saw in German fashion magazines.

-What do you like most about Mongolia today?

-I love the fact that we can travel anywhere we want, anytime we want. By travelling to different places and seeing many different cultures and traditions enriches all of us. Today we have the freedom to make choices of our own, freedom of economy, freedom of growth and opportunities. I am very lucky to experience these big changes during my lifetime.

-What do you miss most about the Mongolia of yesterday? 

-During the 70’s and 80’s there was a lot of community works in Mongolia. Neighbors knew each other very well and borrowed things from each other. Everything felt safe and cleaner during that time. Every Sunday, families would do community service by cleaning the streets and regions they lived in. Schools, organizations, and different clubs used to plant trees, help herders and farmers with their seasonal duties. During these times, we were all one, always together and all our actions were all aimed at helping everyone.

-What’s your favorite holiday destination either overseas or within Mongolia?

-During summer, I always prefer to be in Mongolia and travel within my country by enjoying the natural scenery it has to offer. During the winter months, I like to travel anywhere where I haven’t been yet – mostly warmer places. So far I have enjoyed Singapore very much because of its diversity, growth, organization and cleanliness. There is also less of a language barrier there.

-Can you explain in English your favorite Mongolian expression or saying?

-If a person tries, fate will also try. This means that if you have the will and courage to try your best in everything you do, then your fate will also try its best. This is the principle of my life and is also how I carry out my family, work, and social life.

-What hopes do you have for the future of Mongolia?

-Our country is on the right path of development and I hope it will continue so. I strongly believe that our country will be able to achieve growth and development as other developed countries around the world do. As we develop, our next generation is also developing and their capacity is growing even faster. I believe that the future is in the hands of our youth and I hope to prepare the future leaders of Mongolia.

-Who inspires you?

-My husband D. Zorigt is a man who really inspires me. D.Zorigt is the creative man in our house and we support each other fully. He starts the idea and the business and I usually take over the management and operations. His unconditional support and knowledge helps me to keep going without any fear. He has been my inspiration for 30 years and will be for many more years to come. All of our family businesses have been successful because we know how to work hand- in-hand.

-What’s your favorite pastime?

-I have many friends, but not a lot of time to meet with them since we all live a busy life. Whenever I get a chance, I like to meet my friends and socialize and share quality time with each other. I also enjoy having my family and friends over and cook for them.

-What do you find most intriguing about foreigners living in Mongolia? 

-I find our expatriates to be a very patient and brave people. Living in Mongolia is very hard; the economy, politics, language, food, culture, and traditions are very different from any country around the world. To adjust to the culture and our traditions requires an open mind and a lot of tolerance. I have a lot of respect for our expatriates living in Mongolia. Moving to a different country to live is a big step and a challenge for everyone.

Short URL: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=3095

Comments

Popular posts from this blog