Mongolia Special Korea's Robotics Volunteer Team

Sharing brings more abundance to the soul. This is the lesson learned by a group of students who call themselves the Korea Robotics Volunteer Team, who spent some very special time sharing their knowledge and culture with their peers from Mongolia. Let's learn more about their story.

The Dongsan[동산] Christian High School is located in Ansan, Gyeonggi Province. Here, students of a special robotics class prepare to leave for Mongolia, where they will share their knowledge of robotics with Mongolian students their age.

[Interview : Park Ga-ram, Student
Dongsan Christian High School
] "We're going to Mongolia to share what we've learned about robots with other kids who are the same age as us or younger."

It looks like the Korean students have a lot to prepare before they leave for Mongolia.

This is because they have to be able to teach the Mongolian students correctly once they arrive.

But this is no unfamiliar task, for the students at Dongsan Christian High School do volunteer work all year round.

[Interview : Jo Yong-man, Robotics teacher
Dongsan Christian High School
] "We do a lot of volunteer work in Korea as well. We have a variety of programs right now, but we feel that we should take a special interest in helping students in countries that are not strong in IT technology. We want to help all people, whether they live here in Korea or abroad."

It's D-day, and the robotics volunteer team leave fo Ulaaanbaatar[울란바토르], Mongolia.

It's the first-ever Korean-Mongolian robot camp! It's a little awkward at the beginning, but the students soon find themselves relaxing and having fun as they work on robots together.

[Interview : Dongsan Christian High School
] "I was worried at first, but once I got here, I saw that Mongolian kids were just like Korean kids. In fact, they seem to understand even better, and that's really encouraging."

The Korean volunteers enjoy teaching their Mongolian peers, who follow the lessons with no trouble, and the Mongolian students are fascinated by their first encounter with robotics.

[Interview : Gan-erdene-e, Student
Ulaanbaatar University Middle and High School] "It's my first time participating in something like this. I'd like to thank everyone who helped to make this possible, and I think that I could learn a lot from future conferences like these."

[Interview : Baasannyan, Student
Ulaanbaatar University Middle and High School] "I've never done anything like this before, so I'm very excited. I want to thank everyone from Korea who made this event possible."

They speak different languages and grew up in different surroundings, but through the robot camp they laugh together, chat together, and learn to understand one another. It's a short but meaningful day.

That night, the Korean students retire to their homestay hosts' homes to experience Mongolian culture up close.

The Mongolian hosts have prepared a delicious dinner for their Korean guests, and the Korean students are eager to share as much about robotics as they can while they are there.

[Interview : Park Ga-ram, Student
Dongsan Christian High School] "I want to become a good friend or teacher to at least one kid here. My dream is to become an engineer, so I think that if I find someone here with the same dream, I can help them to reach that goal. Having a friend would also mean that I would have changed something here. I want to leave something behind."

The next day is the long-awaited Korean-Mongolian robotics competition! The competition will be a test of the knowledge that the Korean students have taught their new Mongolian friends. The competition looks like it'll be fierce.

[Interview : Eedenetuya, Student
Ulaanbaatar University Middle and High School] "It's nice. I learned a lot, and I feel good because I know I can do well. I'm going to win the competition."

[Interview : Tugsbaysgalan, Student
Ulaanbaatar University Middle and High School
] "I'm confident. I think I'm going to do really well."

The students must work together to complete seven different challenges that fit the theme of "Green City," including sorting recyclables and building dams. The Mongolian students tackle each task calmly, while their Korean peers stand on the sidelines watching anxiously.

[Interview : Jo Ha-gyeong, Student
Dongsan Christian High School] "I feel like I didn't teach them well enough. They don't have to win, but I hope that they'll try their best."

[Interview : Choi Jae-hyeon, Student
Dongsan Christian High School
] "Our team has one Korean student and one Mongolian student. There's a language barrier, but they somehow communicated and completed their challenge. It was very touching."

The competition is nearing the end, and only the results are left.

Finally, the winning team is announced!

But win or lose, everyone did their very best and had a great time.

[Interview : Erdenechimeg Dorjravdan, Minister of Education, Culture, and Science
Mongolia
] "I think that it's a great competition. The knowledge that was shared by the Korean teachers and students is a great resource. I hope that the Korean-Mongolian competition can continue to develop and evolve into a wider competition, and I believe that our students have the talent and skills to make that a reality."

For three days, Korean and Mongolian students came to understand each other better and learn the valuable lesson of sharing through robotics. We hope their creativity and passion soon becomes a driving force in the development of scientific technology in these two countries.

[STUDIO]

Those robots get more advanced and I remember when I was young a cool robot would always get kids to play together in the neighborhood.
And now robots are getting kids to interact across countries.
Thanks to those student volunteers for showing us how they shared their experience in Mongolia.

SEP 15, 2011

Reporter : noakim@arirangtv.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog