The World Cadet Championships Crown Winners

The 24th World Cadet (Checkers) Championship was held in Ulaanbaatar between October 30 and November 5, with 32 participants from 13 countries competing for the champion’s title. It is the second time the championship has been held in Mongolia, the fist was in 2006, and this championship was significantly distinct, as the female category was added to the program.

Nugunya Azarova from Russia won the female category. Sa Ya, the silver medalist from Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region of China, created a stir by upsetting her opponent Michelle de Young from the Netherlands in the last round, making history as the first World Cadet Championship medalist from China.

The bronze medal went to Aigul Idrisova from Russia, and M.Nyamjargal won the 5th place ranking highest amongst Mongolian competitors.

In the male category, Martin van Aizendorn from the Netherlands was crowned champion, leading steadily throughout the whole competition.

Ian Grunendike, also Netherlands came in second, and Anton Permyokov from Russia third.

B.Bilegt, who is sub master and national teen cadet champion, ranked highest amongst Mongolian boys, coming in 6th place.

Winner of the championship:

Martin van Aizendorn: I will come back to Mongolia

-First of all congratulations on becoming the champion of The 4th World Cadet Championship. Tell us about your experience?

-Thank you, I am so happy that I came to Mongolia and became a champion. I practiced what I preach in myself and I have a big gift for my country.

-What did you think about the organization of the event?

-The organization was quite good, I think, and my achievement was really good too.

-What do you know about Mongolia? Have you ever been in Mongolia before?

-When I knew that the championship was to be held here, I explored things about Mongolia. I got information about Mongolia and thought that it would be so cold here, but I was warm and so nice. And in the night there are a lot of stars in sky. It is so interesting because I have never seen so many stars like that.

-What do you have to say about your opponents?

-The opponents were so strong this year but I finally won. My main opponents were the Russians, and the Mongolian checkers were also strong.

-Thank you, good luck in your next championships!

-Thank you so much, I will probably come back to Mongolia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog