Ts.Elbegdorj: To combat corruption is our priority

The President of Mongolia Tsakhia Elbegdorj yesterday, on May 14, 2012, did a phone conversation with Ban Ki-Moon, a Secretary General of UN.

Ban Ki-moon: How are you, Mr.President?

Elbegdorj Tsakhia: How are you, I am very pleased to speak with you, Mr. Secretary General.

Ban Ki-moon: I hope you’ll understand that I am calling you very hesitantly on this issue. There is a growing concern over the health of former president Mr.Enkhbayar. I hope you are paying your attention to his health situation. We are good friends. I know your previous president too. I am proud of Mongolia as one of the countries achieving great success in building a democratic society. Of course, we don’t want to be involved in the legal issues. As the president of Mongolia you are carrying great responsibility in strengthening democracy and establishing justice in your country.

Elbegdorj Tsakhia: I am deeply grateful for your telephone call. We are paying close attention to the health of former president Enkhbayar. He is currently being treated in the hospital for our state officials. A medical team consisting of the best doctors in our country has been appointed to monitor his health.

We will always be open to collaborate with anticorruption and human rights missions of the United Nations. 

I will be very pleased if you send representatives of those organizations to Mongolia to collaborate with our efforts to combat corruption and protect human rights. We have always made it our priority to implement the laws justly and equally and to protect human rights and we will continue to be devoted to these fundamental objectives.

As you understand, combating corruption is a very difficult process. We are learning important lessons as we move forward with this essential mission. Mongolia recently joined the UN Convention Against Corruption. As you know very well, corruption and money are very powerful things.

Again, I would like to assure that we are always open to collaboration with you.

Ban Ki-moon: I am truly very hesitant to talk to you again on this issue. I am talking to you after I heard about the serious deterioration of health of former president Enkhbayar. I wish Mongolia can succeed in its endeavor to combat and eliminate corruption. I have no interest in being involved in the Mongolia’s internal matter. I believe that you can help in properly solving the issue of concern.

Elbegdorj Tsakhia: Honorable Secretary General, I am very pleased that you are paying attention in this issue. Mongolia is an open country. This issue is being openly scrutinized by our public, our media and our law enforcement organizations. People are receiving all available information concerning this issue. Former President Enkhbayar’s case was opened quite some time ago. He was summoned for testimony ten times over the past several months, but he declined to appear. In this circumstance, according to our laws, he had to be taken into detention. We are all paying very close attention to equal enforcement the rule of law, human rights protection and the health of Mr. Enkhbayar. On the other hand, we are witnessing the power of money and its links to corruption and mining. I have a firm position on regulating mining licenses which in the past were issued in a sloppy, un-scrutinized way. At one time, the land under mining licenses encompassed almost half of our territory, you know. We Mongolians need to be the true owners of our wealth. We must protect the rights of our citizens and establish truly democratic and just rules in this sector. I will continue to pay close attention to the issues you mentioned and also to the health of Mr. Enkhbayar. I will also support the law enforcing organizations for their just implementation of the laws.

Mr. Secretary General, we are trying to stand for the principle that everyone is equal before the law, that no one has more rights or privileges than others.

Ban Ki-moon: I am happy to talk to you. I hope we’ll meet soon. Will you come to the high-level meeting on environment that will take place in Rio in June?

Elbegdorj Tsakhia: I hope to see you again soon too. I will come to Rio’s high level meeting. Mongolia is doing quite a lot on this area. Secretary General, I hope we’ll have an opportunity to talk about it.

Ban Ki-moon: Well, thank you, President. It was pleasure to talk to you.

Elbegdorj Tsakhia: I am very pleased that you phoned me. I am grateful that you pay attention to the events happening in our country. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog