Dancer on the strings

A member of the ethno jazz band “Burte”, Munkh-Erdene Chuluunbat, is known as the “Queen of Asian yatga”. The yatga is a traditional Mongolian stringed instrument of the zither family, also known as the curved board harp. Even though she has no credentials, audiences and music critics alike consider her a queen. She was born in 1975 in Ulaanbaatar, and attended the Music College of Ulaanbaatar between 1988-1994. Ch. Munkh - Erdene' s performance on the curved board harp (Yatag) has its own unique features and novelties. Her courageous initiatives and her search for innovations keep audiences on their toes, and enriches the repertoire of the instrument. She has introduced many new performance techniques and skills in playing the harp, such as sliding fingers, playing using the nails, and tremolo using her knuckles. She performed her first Sol Musical Concert, “A melody” that tuned in Altai in 2002. In 2004 she performed her second Sol Musical Concert named the legend of the “Butterfly lovers”. She has played with international orchestras, such as symphonic orchestra of Zaparoje, in Ukraine, and the symphonic orchestra of Laar City, in Germany. In 2004 she played in the concert for yatga and symphonic orchestra of N.Jantsannorov accompanied by the symphonic orchestra of Stuttgart, and in 2008 played with the symphonic orchestra of Jena City, Germany. 

Ch.Munkh-Erdene was awarded with 1st prize at the National competition for Professional musicians in Mongolia in 2008.

She will present her solo concert on April 27 and 28 at the Independence palace in Mongolia.

On being a musician

I was attracted to the yatga when I was just a little girl, like a child’s fancy for candies. So my mother and father let me enter the Music and Dance college. I believe it was destiny. Art is like my air. But it demands practice and that the artist takes a moral high ground. If you can’t accept these rules, you will be lost to the art. Maybe for that reason, many Music and Dance college’s students are unable to commit and leave early. My teacher, Z.Narantuya, influenced me the most. She taught me not only music, but also life lessons. Teachers tend to indulge their students more than their own sons and daughters. This is the greatest generosity. 

A musician is not just a conveyer of the work of a composer. First, a composer’s masterpieces must go through the musician’s mind and inner world. Then a musician must express their own feelings to an audience. In other words, a musician is a linking bridge between the audience and a composer. I realize that it is possible for a person to fall in love with a composition like a man loves a woman or vice versa. While I studied at college, I fell in love with “Butterfly lovers” violin concert by Chen Gang and He Zhanhao.

I am still in love with this masterpiece and will perform it on the yatga during my upcoming concert.

On nomads’ music and western audiences

I preformed the “Concert for Yatga” by the state honored composer N.Jantsannorov with four European symphony orchestras in Germany. I was a soloist being accompanied by experienced musicians and professors. It was a real responsibility. After I performed the concert, both the audience and other musicians praised the “Concert for Yatga” highly. I have reached the conclusion that western life and development is growing like an express train but has almost reached its full potential. But they feel the need to be back to basics, to return to their traditions and roots. All human beings can be traced back to some form of nomadic root. Maybe they feel their natural instincts when they see or hear nomadic traditional music. That’s why western audience love Mongolian traditional arts and culture. But it is just my opinion.

On the importance of a mother country

When a person lives abroad, he or she begin to appreciate the value of their mother country. The members of the band “Burte” have lived and worked in Germany and other European countries for more than ten years. We all missed our homes, families and friends. In most countries, every child has their own room and has the ability to declare their independence during childhood. But in a traditional Mongolian life style, all family members live together in one yurt (ger). Even though it is not so easy, every member has a deep feeling of belonging with each other and adores their brothers and sisters. It builds a warm family atmosphere full of energy. Therefore, we realized that Mongolia is truly a democratic and free country whilst we were in Europe. So we came back to perform here.

On a soulmate

Everyone has their own unique sentiment about smell. For me, my husband’s smell is reminiscent of closeness and it reminds me of intimacy and great memories. When I lived abroad I faced lots of problems. But my husband and I were together with one purpose, and he was my one and only supporter. He is a throat singer and musician, as well as a leader of the band. 

If one of us had another, non-art related profession, life would be different. Sometimes our children and everyday life are at risk because of the band and concerts. However, art is our happiness. We can’t live without that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog