The Mongolian Dream: Lkhagvadorj Enkhbat

Lkhagvadorj Enkhbat, 27, is an artist. He lives with his wife and two children. He focuses on alcoholism and depicts it in his artwork.

What is your biggest concern in life right now?

Alcoholism in society is the biggest concern for me. But I can’t say that it is alcoholism alone. Society is a compound of people. Drinkers are a part of society. I would call them a vulnerable group of people. I’ve interviewed these people. As they say, they are not addicted to alcohol by choice. We are a society, but we discriminate against these drinkers in society. In my opinion, present Mongolian society is divided in two groups: one is normal society and another one is a fallen society. People in the fallen society are a blend of discriminated people from normal society. These people can join in normal society if we become a little bit kind-hearted. I express their wishes through my artwork. I can do nothing for them alone. I describe their thoughts in my artwork.

What would you like to see for your children in 20-30 years from Mongolia?

I want a safe, clean and peaceful future for children. As well, I want everyone to be able to do whatever they want without any social influence.As for me, I painted one drinker and nobody understood why and said, why did you paint a drinker instead of beautiful nature or something like that? This is social influence. On the other hand, budget is also a big problem. Artwork is a small project I think. Some organizations abroad support fine art and artists. Mongolia has nothing. My children mustn’t face problems like mine if my children become painters, like me. I am an artist. That is why I have to create my artwork. But I cannot spend all of my time creating because of social influence.

If you were a top decision maker in the country, and you could change only one thing, what would it be?

If I were President of Mongolia, I would support the art of Mongolia. Art is a vast concept. The government focuses on sports, music and dance. Fine art is missed. People think painters create paintings and sell them at high prices, and that all painters are rich. They think fine art is very easy. Fine art is different from their thoughts. I watch television. Art news being broadcast on television is mostly about sports, singers and reality shows. Fine arts competitions are held in other countries. Mongolian artists have not participated in such competitions before. If athletes participate in the Olympic games, the Mongolian Government will support them financially. Fine art is missed. The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Art does nothing for the fine art sector.

On a scale of one to 10, how happy would you say Mongolian society is?

I am always searching the dark side of the city. There are many beautiful places, building and streets, but I can’t see those things. Drinkers or homeless people in the street attract my attention. I will give zero points for the happiness of Mongolian society.

How do you think this age will be remembered in the future?

I think Mongolian society will not develop. Mongolia will develop its appearance, such as buildings and streets. Maybe there will be fewer drinkers or homeless people after 20 years. When I was a child, I watched movies and imagined Mongolia would be amazing when I grew up. Now, everything is the same as it was 20 years ago. Only buildings have been built and the price of goods has increased. People are becoming more cold-hearted day by day.

Short URL: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=9122

Comments

Popular posts from this blog