Tim Cope's 10,000-kilometer Journey

Tim and Tigon

In June 2004 Tim Cope set off on an epic journey: 10,000 kilometers from Mongolia to Hungary by horse—a trek that eventually took him more than three years and led him into the fabric of nomad society on the Eurasian steppe.The award winning documentary film of Cope's journey is now complimented by his new book, On The Trail of Genghis Khan, An Epic Journey Through the Land of the Nomads, which won the Grand Prize at the 2013 Banff Mountain Festival.

Here, Cope shares some of his favorite images from the trip. Above: I pose with my Kazakh canine travelling companion, Tigon (name means "fast wind" or "hawk" in Kazakh) in the desert of Western Kazakhstan. Tigon was given to me as a pup by a herder called Aset who travelled with me for ten days into the first blizzards of winter in November 2004. He told me that I needed someone to protect me at night from the wolves, keep me warm in the tent, and to be my friend en route to Hungary. I couldn’t have done the journey without Tigon, who now lives with me in Australia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog