Chinzorig sculpts Mongolia’s fledgling digital art landscape

Chinzorig Batzorig was born in 1989 in Ulaanbaatar and started drawing when he was a little boy, but he has been concentrating on digital art since 2009. He graduated from the Mongolian State University of Science and Technology’s Factorial Design School. 

Even though he is not a well-known artist when I explored his paintings I saw his incredible creativity. 

Digital art is created using different tools than the more traditional art forms. Art is not about the tools used to create it. It is about the vision, message, or emotion of the artist. Photography is a medium through which an artist creates art. Likewise, a computer is just a medium or tool through which an artist can express his or her vision of lines, form, color, composition, and rhythm. The medium is not highly developed in Mongolia.

When the digital artist has mastery over the tools and technologies (software, equipment etc), they can go beyond “taking a digital picture” or “applying an effect” and create art- an individual expression of their vision. Digital art falls into three basic categories: digital painting, digital photography and darkroom, and fractals. There are several subcategories and of course the artist can combine any to create their own unique vision.

“ Exploring the infinite possibilities of new media, my work visually expresses the joy I find in the richness and complexity of life. Each color, line, and shape combine to harmoniously build a structure celebrating the wonder I feel. Natural objects, faith and beliefs, mysterious depths and richness of shapes and textures are all things that come to life and vibrate in the colors and luminance of the images.

Although I work in a digital or virtual medium, I approach the creation of each image with a traditional outlook of a painter and also, in my case, a sculptor. I try to bring depth and texture to the images that I work on, as well as, dramatic color and my own unique viewpoint.

The process behind the creation of my digital images begins with me creating a digital image from a fractal flame, a photo, or a abstract digital painting. This becomes the base upon which I build my collage of images and impressions. 

The majority of my recent works are digital mono-print transfers. Digital mono-prints are a hybrid among printmaking techniques. The artist’s hand is embedded in the process and allows random imperfections that give each print its unique characteristics. 

The image, which I have created in my computer, is printed onto a transfer matrix. This matrix is used to create a unique digital mono-print transfer. The matrix is destroyed during the transfer because the ink is removed from it and transferred to the print surface, so nothing remains. I hand-pull these transfers onto wood, metals, plastics, or custom surfaces. 

Layering of image elements creates a unique image, which makes an intuitive connection. I don’t plan what I will do to an image or what the final outcome will be like. I start and see where my feelings and subconscious lead me.

With my digital creations I am trying to create something that I enjoy and hope that others will as well,” he said. 

Intuitively created, his work is anchored in a reality while showing the mysterious depths contained in all things. His subconscious leads him to express what is hidden in his inside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog