D. Altankhuyag: Mongolia’s primo ballerino

We were sitting in the ballet rehearsal room at the Opera House with our overcoats, observing the daily rehearsal of Mongolian ballerinas. If it were somebody else with their outer clothes in this strict rehearsal room, they would have been chased out immediately. Yet, it was filled with love, respect and reverence. In the studio, everyone was delighted at the news that D.Altankhuyag, one of the world’s top ballerinos, was returning to the theater. The theater’s atmosphere was thick with admiration by his fellow performers and the audience.

Ticket’s for Altankhuyag’s latest performance, “Swan Lake,” which started Sunday, were sold out immediately after it was announced.

Just before the new show, we’ve had the chance to interview Altankhuyag, one of the world’s top eightballerinos, principal dancer for the Boston Ballet Company in the USA and State Academic Theater of Opera and Dance of Mongolia.

-It appears that “Swan Lake” is going to be a wonderful show and tickets have already sold out. What other projects will you be doing in Mongolia?

-I came back to take part in one of the State Academic Theatre of Opera and Dance’s regular ballet performances which takes place almost every week. I will be the protagonist of this (last) Sunday’s performance.

-How often do you come to Mongolia?

-I return to Mongolia twice a year. Once during this time of the year, in winter, and once during summer.

-Recently, a member of Mongolia’s ballet family was awarded a State Honor.

-(Laughs) Yes, are you talking about my classmate?

-It’s rumored that you returned to congratulate your friend and celebrated dancer, Ch.Ganchimeg. Is it true?

-Of course it’s true. You can could say that. Ganchimeg and I have been dancing together since we were little. Just like the old Mongolian saying, she’s my “right hand” partner. We have danced together not only at the Music and Dance College but also at the State Academic Theater of Opera and Dance after graduating. During our sophomore year at the Music and Dance College, we performed the protagonists of “Blue-eyed Lady” on the stage of the State Academic Theater of Opera and Dance. We were elated to have been able to perform on the stage of the State Academic Theatre of Opera and Dance as it was a huge event at the time, and we were only in our second year at school. She continued to be my dance partner even after becoming a member of the theater, after graduation.

You might remember the big collaboration held on June, 2012 by Mongolian ballet dancers living abroad. At that event, we also performed a pas de deux. We were short on time and could hardly rehearse for the performance, but on stage, all those years of working together could be felt. For a ballerino, this enervation could only be felt from a right hand partner; she is definitely a golden partner to me. Therefore, I am absolutely delighted for her and I have to say that she is a ballerina worthy of the honor.

-When did you first hear that your right hand partner received the honor and how did you congratulate her?

-I have just arrived so I still haven’t met her in person. I also have to rehearse for the “Swan Lake” performance. But I will certainly congratulate Ganaa for her success. As soon as I see her, I’m going to swing her into my arms and congratulate her. (Laughs). From the professional’s view, Ganaa is an exceptional actress-ballerina. Nonetheless, you need to thoroughly understand that ballet is an art for young people. On stage, you must only show beauty and youthful energy, therefore, a ballerina’s effort should be credited soon as it does not last long.

Ballet is an art similar to sport where you must avoid injuries as much as possible. Along these lines, it’s one of the arts that require acute sensitivity. Thus, it is almost impossible not to love and revere ballerinas.

-You have just said that ballet is an art for young people. In some ways, ballet strikes me as a cruel art where it demands one to outshine others through one’s unique abilities within a time-limit of 20 years.

-That’s correct. There’s a lot of competition and it is evidently shown on stage. While audiences perceive the overall performance, professionals on the other hand, analyse every technique and move performed by a ballerina.

-Have you ever talked about your unrehearsed performance with Ch.Ganchimeg in an interview?

-Yes, I have. Apart from that particular role, I had many other projects at hand at the time. Though, this how it is in almost every one of my performances.

There is a policy for us ballet dancers to rehearse for the role before going onstage and to practice every single day. When performing a pas de deux, it is of utmost importance that you rehearse in order to reduce tension. However, Ganaa and I performed intuitively and didn’t feel a tension at all. With the experience collected from all those years of working together, we knew exactly how each of us would move and that performance was impeccable.

-What sort of training and roles have you taken up at the USA’s Boston Ballet Company before coming back to Mongolia?

Before coming, I took on a role in the “Nutchracker” which is known by the name “Tsumuukhei” among Mongolian audiences. It’s a play about a doll that cracks nuts. I have performed this piece for over 40 times.

-That’s amazing, but did you play the same character over 40 times at the Boston Ballet Company?

-I have performed as all the characters. Everyday, I took on a different role. Unlike Mongolian theaters where you perform only one role, this way was more interesting and a new experience.

-There are some 30 ballet pieces in the National Inventory of the Academic Theater of Opera and Dance. Is there any you haven’t performed thus far?

-I’m not sure. I’ll have to see the list in person before I can answer. But I presume that I have performed most of the ballets recorded in the inventory. I probably have taken roles of every protagonist, antagonist and supporting roles of the plays stored in the inventory during my seven years. From 2000 to 2007, I have performed at the theatre, but I took a week off in-between plays to perform in foreign theaters. Now it has reversed. I spend exactly a week in Mongolia, in between plays abroad.

-It is every Mongolian performer’s dream to perform at the Bolshoi and La Scala Theaters but you have performed on both. Tell us about the experience?

-Yes. I have performed at the Bolshoi Theater three times. On my first time at the Bolshoi, I performed a play which is not well known among Mongolian audiences. It was a modern classical ballet peice. Subsequently, I participated in the Bolshoi Theater’s Gala performance.

-It must have been thrilling to perform on a stage that is reserved exclusively for prestigious performers.

-Definitely, it was as if I was shoulder to shoulder with modern world classics.

-La Scala, is not only renowned in Italy but also worldwide. You are the first Mongolian to step onto the prestigious stage, can you tell us about the theater?

-Yes, La Scala is fabulous. There’s no need for further clarification after hearing its history. Now thinking back about the experience, La Scala is the best ballet theaters since ballet originated from Italy.

-Did you ever get a stage fright before going on the massive, reputable stage?

-Not really. La Scala is a world-renowned opera house and is an absolutely phenomenal theater – the definition of true elegance. However, for me, every stage is the same. The stage itself may be different in size, but a stage is a stage. In fact, as if it were my home country, the stage of La Scala felt surprisingly familiar. The front and back entrance gave a nostalgic feeling. But obviously, the structure was different.

-You gave an exotic performance at the National Naadam Festival’s opening concert in 2010. After listening to “Salkhit Shuvuu” (Birds of Wind), composed by Z. Khangal and directed by N.Tuulaikhuu, you were able to choreograph your part within a day. Was there something special in the brilliant composition that captivated you to choreograph your entire part within a day?

-It’s an absolutely wonderful piece of composition. I like it very much. I choreographed it with the intention of not just to perform the play, but to show how Mongolians were able to go wherever they desired just like a bird of wind in the past, through my performance on stage.

Short URL: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=7373

Comments

Popular posts from this blog