Children in Mongolia experience climate change and extreme cold

In the last couple of weeks my winter coat has become necessary and I’m contemplating gloves. Yet any complaints I might have are put into perspective when I consider that for millions of children, winter is a time of threat.

When we think of climate change we often think of rising temperatures, but children are also affected in colder climates, experiencing harsher winters and declining water resources. In Mongolia some children can spend 3 to 4 hours every day collecting water, braving frozen rivers and wells, and hauling water containers over extremely long distances.

In western Mongolia in 2010, heavy snow, strong winds and extreme cold created crisis conditions in over half the country’s provinces. Temperatures fell to minus-50 degrees Celsius, and snow meant access to food, fuel, sanitation and basic medical care was even tougher.

The crisis, known locally as a ”dzud”, killed at least nine children in one province, and trapped many others in dormitories with failing heating systems and limited food supplies. A 16-year-old girl recalled the extreme weather:

“In the last winter dzud, I took turns to herd our livestock… around 40 animals. I needed to dig the snow to help the livestock reach the grass, sometimes by hand. When there is a snow blizzard, I can’t see my way and I’m afraid of getting lost. I’m also afraid of wolves. My cheeks and ears freeze and I get frostbite…This makes my ears very painful by the evening and liquid comes from my ears.”

Climate change is not about a distant future. It is about a 16-year-old girl who uses her hands to reach the grass beneath the snow for her livestock. It is about children now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog