John C. Cronin: People, both local and foreign, really seem to want to make things work here in Ulaanbaatar

It’s easy to understand why miners, tourists, volunteers and diplomats come to Ulaanbaatar, but what about lawyers? How does an American lawyer wind up in UB and become Executive Director of one of Mongolia’s top tier law firms? For John C. Cronin, that’s an easy question to answer: “Mongolia is a land of opportunity at the moment. And it was even more so when the economy here was really heating up in 2011. I came to Mongolia because I was looking to do something truly interesting in the field of corporate and transactional law. There are some of the biggest deals in the world going on here. Back in early 2011 I was talking to a friend, who was already out here with a law firm at the time. He suggested that the work was interesting and that this was an opportunity not to be missed.”

Cronin did some research, sent out his CV – determined to be at one of Mongolia’s best firms. The law firm of Lehman, Lee & Xu Mongolia responded almost immediately. A Skype interview was arranged and the next thing he knew, he was booking flights and making arrangements to live in UB.

“It all happened rather quickly,” Cronin tells me. In fact, it took less than a month and a half from when he discussed the prospect of coming to Mongolia, to him actually arriving at Chinggis Khaan International Airport.

I ask him about the Law Firm of Lehman, Lee & Xu Mongolia and he explains, “Lehman, Lee & Xu celebrates its 15th year in UB this year. After eight years of working in Mongolia through intellectual property agents or otherwise handling matters on a project by project basis, in 2005 the process began to set up the Mongolian office as an independent firm focused entirely on Mongolian legal matters. At that time Lehman, Lee & Xu Mongolia began to develop its expertise in dealing with foreign direct investment coming into the country. This of course means dealing extensively with mining companies, performing due diligence on Mongolian business entities and licenses, and assisting clients with obtaining minerals licenses.”

Lehman, Lee & Xu Mongolia is staffed with a combination of Mongolian and expat attorneys. The Mongolian attorneys are all fluent in English and, “as a team are capable of anything that may come their way,” states Cronin.

He describes the great working environment the office has. “The drive and support that the firm receives from the Mongolian attorneys working for Lehman, Lee & Xu is inspiring. They are truly the heart of the firm and I am proud to work with each and every one of the Mongolian attorneys that have worked in this office while I’ve been here.”

I’m curious to hear about the biggest work related challenge he’s faced so far. Cronin is honest in his response and answers, “Dealing with laws drafted in a language I cannot understand can be very challenging. While I receive an immense amount of support from my colleagues – and I cannot emphasize enough how appreciative I am of those that work with me in this office – I have found that no two translations of a law into English look exactly the same. It can be great fun to sit down and discuss the law and its potential interpretations, but this is tempered with the need to present a concise answer to clients’ questions.”

Apart from the dynamic and talented team at his office, Cronin also enjoys interacting with other legal and business communities here in UB. From the very start he found other firms reaching out to support him on a very basic level. In a relatively small community, where it’s common to work with and interact with other firms on a regular basis, Cronin explains that it is of utmost importance to maintain cordial contact and friendships with colleagues at other law firms.

“I’m highly appreciative that many of the other attorneys I meet in Mongolia seem to feel the same way. This atmosphere creates an environment which encourages forthright and efficient interaction between law firms towards clients’ goals. An amicable atmosphere is important to avoid the hostility and difficulties between firms that can sometimes develop around hyper-competiveness between law firms.”

Cronin also commends the activities of the Business Council of Mongolia for helping to facilitate some of this interaction between attorneys, particularly with regard to gatherings in order to discuss legal developments through the BCM Legislative Working Group.

“People, both local and foreign, really seem to want to make things work here in Ulaanbaatar,” he sums up. “The work is challenging, but it is exciting to meet that challenge.”

Q&A time

-Describe your first visit to Mongolia.

-I first arrived in Mongolia on May 4, 2011. I did not really know what to expect. Before flying out here I talked with Aaron Schneider, a friend from law school who worked for another law firm in Ulaanbaatar, but that was mostly about the work and the food – maybe a little about the weather.
It was a grey day when I arrived at the airport around 10:30AM. A light, wet snow was falling. The driver for Lehman, Lee &Xu Mongolia picked me up at the airport and brought me to the office. I met my colleagues at the office, and then was taken to my apartment.
When I left my apartment that evening to meet Aaron for dinner I was a bit disoriented by the maze of streets and the great number of new buildings being constructed. I had directions to Veranda, and I knew it was on the same street as the Lehman, Lee & Xu, but I had difficulties finding it all the same. Only after walking in circles in the snow around the block several times, did I realize that both Veranda and my office were on a little side street that cut through the middle of the city block.

-What is the best thing about living in Mongolia?

-The best thing about living in Mongolia is the excitement of those involved in the developing economy and legal system. People, both local and foreign, really seem to want to make things work here.
It is truly exciting to be a part of the developing legal system here. There are many thought provoking issues that are being grappled with by the Mongolian government as they try to balance the interests of the Mongolian population with the need for foreign investment to develop the country.
This intense interest in Mongolia’s business and legal environment is both the best and the worst thing about Mongolia. There is so much opportunity and so much to be hopeful for about the future, but there is a lot of stress in watching and waiting for decisions to be made. I look forward to a day when the system has a greater degree of certainty and transparency built into it.

-How has UB changed since your first visit?

-Ulaanbaatar is constantly changing. From every window I look out of in my office or apartment I can see one, if not two or three or five new buildings.

-Describe a perfect weekend in Mongolia.

-My favorite weekend in Mongolia involved a drive up north of Darkhan. My friends and I parked near a river and grilled shashlik. It is important to get out of the city on a regular basis – the clean air and the countryside free from traffic makes a great deal of difference for an individual’s level of stress.

-What’s your advice to UB newcomers?

-Be patient. I have found that when I am trying to get something done, it normally takes longer than I originally anticipated. In particular, the focus at restaurants is not on prompt service and being able to turn that table over for the next patron. Rather, it is likely that the waiters, once they have taken your order, will leave you alone to enjoy a leisurely repast. It may be difficult to flag down a waiter for an additional drink, or the check. Also, be cautious. Use the buddy system, especially when going out at night. There is safety in numbers.

-Is there anything you can’t live without in UB?

-The UB Mart. It is convenient to my office, and reasonably well stocked for a convenience store. They have a great collection of cereals. I am sad to admit that cereal is one of the staples of my diet.

-Have you managed to learn any Mongolian?

-I am sorry to say I know very little Mongolian. I can get around in a cab. I can say hello, goodbye, good morning, thank you, milk, water and wine. I know a few numbers. There are a few other words I pick up on when I hear them – but it has not been something I have put enough effort into yet.

-What’s your favourite UB restaurant/s?

-Hennessey’s opened up only days before I arrived last year. I have enjoyed the shepherd’s pie, Guinness pie and Sunday roasts there. It has a comfortable décor, and the service has always been friendly.
For truly attentive and friendly service I like Veranda. I enjoy eating at the Bistro Francaise, Le Triskell and California as well.
I like the lasagna special at Millie’s on Wednesdays.
I also enjoy the Rosewood Café.

-What’s your favourite pastime or something you like to do to relax?

-I like to go out and eat with my friends and I like to listen to music at home and read.

-Picture Ulaanbaatar 20 years from now and tell me what you see.

-Twenty years is a long time from now, and with the rapid pace of development it is near impossible to imagine what the city could be like. I like to think that there will be substantive measures to reduce pollution in the winter. Perhaps an electrical grid that will allow power plants to be located further from the city, or draw on power other sources. The airport will be bigger, allowing for larger planes and direct flights to a greater number of locations around the world. This will make travel from the country less time consuming in terms of layovers.

-What is your favourite Mongolian food?

-Either Buuz, Khushur or Tsuivan. I like all three of those.

-What music do you listen to when you are stuck in UB traffic?

-I walk about the city mostly. Sadly this means that my music is largely the rattling of tail pipes and the blaring of horns. I do not think that laying on the horn will make traffic move any faster, but I believe I am in the minority here. In contrast to this, the constant sounds of construction are almost relaxing.

-Who inspires you?

-I have been inspired by many people along the way. Currently, I lean on my co-workers and colleagues in the legal field here in Mongolia for inspiration. It can be a challenging place for an expat to live, and it is comforting to know that there are others there to help you through it.

-What was the last book you read?

-A Sailor of Austria by John Biggins. It was historical fiction about anofficer of the Austro-Hungarian Empire who commanded a submarine during World War I. I like to read as an escape, generally to the sea, if I can find the right novel.

-Do you have a favourite quote or motto to live by?

-I suppose it is not really a particular quote or motto, but with the focus on mining here in Mongolia, the American poet Robert Service often comes to my mind. Many of his more famous pieces (such as “The Spell of the Yukon,” “The Shooting of Dan McGrew” and “The Cremation of Sam McGee”) were about the gold rush in Alaska at the end of the 19th century.
My favorite poem of his is “It Is Later than You Think.”

-If you could have dinner with 5 people who would they be?

- I always enjoy sitting down with Sean Hennessy. He is rather passionate about food and the restaurant industry. It is always exciting to hear what he has planned next.

- My nieces and nephews back in the U.S. are growing up so fast while I am here in Mongolia. I would love to have a family dinner to catch up and hear about their swim meets, soccer games and other aspects of their daily lives.

- Vance A. Funk, III. He is the mayor of my home town in Newark, Delaware. I managed his initial campaign and worked for him before I went to law school. I would like to go review with him how my home town has changed, and what changes the future may hold back in Newark, Delaware.

-Jack Weatherford. He seems to have written a good deal on Mongolian history, and it would be fun to pick his brain for perspective on this fascinating land.

-Cal Ripken, Jr. The Baltimore Orioles, my favorite baseball team, are making their first post-season appearance since 1997 this year. Cal Ripken was a big part of the team as I was growing up, and his streak of 2,632 consecutive games played shows a dedication and work ethic that I find admirable.

Short URL: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=1448

Comments

Popular posts from this blog