Renowned opera singer recounts inspirations from legendary teacher and opera singer D. Bandi

As The Days of Opera Singers, dedicated to the late State Honored Actor D. Bandi, are quickly approaching. An interview was conducted with the late D. Bandi’s student, the State Honored Actor G. Ariunbaatar. Translated from Udriin Sonin newspaper:

-These are the Days of D. Bandi’s Opera Singers. What events are being organized?

-My teacher received the title of State Honored Actor of Mongolian People’s Republic he was one of the first people to receive this title. 

The Olympiad of opera singers – dedicated to D. Bandi – is about to take place. Distinguished Cultural Worker (DCW) and lead vocalist at the State Theatre of Opera and Ballet (STOB) U. Uyangahas recently established the Grand Opera Fund. There are many events that will take place in April during the Days of Opera Singers. All of the former students of my teacher will be a part of them. A training class, aimed to demonstrate opera singing will also begin. This training will help improve the teaching skills and abilities of teachers at arts and culture universities. 

One month is a very short time, and I believe people fond of classic arts will remember my teacher. I am pleased to say that our works on the events has already started and our progress is going quite well. The opening ceremony will begin with a play by the former students of teacher D. Bandi. 

Afterwards, the opera singing Olympiad will begin. This is actually the fifth time the Olympiad is includes, but before, it only included the students from the Mongolian University of Arts and Culture (MUAC). This year’s opera singing Olympiad is unique that it is covering the whole nation.

The days dedicated to my teacher will end with a gala play. 

-D. Bandi was considered to be the king of Mongolian classic arts. When did you meet him and become his student?

-I joined the MUAC in 2005. My teacher D. Baysgalan, a lead singer at the State Theatre of Opera and Ballet had taught me so much about opera singing. I was not thinking about it much, so I simply joined MUAC. My teacher then took me to meet D. Bandi. An old man with grey hair was sitting in his office. My teacher D. Bandi was the one that made me see how extraordinary opera singing is, and made it an inseparable part of my life.

-You have echoed the name of your teacher and also the name of Mongolia to the world at the M.I. Glink’s Opera Festival in Moscow. What was your impression?

-I am thankful that my teacher is greatly respected and I am making sure of that. He used to tell me that being humble and modest was the key to success. My teacher never praised anyone. He would simply say, ‘Well, that’s good. Go on now.’ I think these were the most encouraging word he said but it was of great inspiration for me. He created many talented young people. Mongolian people must never forget Dorjyn Bandi, a great singer and teacher.

-I have heard that many opera singers registered to compete in the opera singing Olympiad because of the large prize. What can you tell us about this?

-The fourth Olympiad was organized in 2008 just before my teacher passed away. This year’s competition is funded by the Grand Opera Fund and they set the prize very high. Their aim is to produce many young, talented singing individuals. The first place of the Olympiad has a prize of 5 million MNT, second place is 3 million and third place is 2 million MNT . Before, there were no competitions with this high a monetary reward in Mongolia. 

A Russian opera conductor from the University of Venice in Italy will serve as a judge. To keep the competition fair we have invited many prominent opera singers and conductors from all over the world. We wanted every person who is able to sing join the Olympiad so the age limitations are relatively flexible. Also I hope every talented individual would come and join us at the Olympiad, they can truly evaluate themselves as very experienced judges will judge them. 

-What are the qualifications for the Olympiad?

-Any person who can sing well within the age range of 18 – 33 can participate. I am sure many people will participate. 

-Will you be participating?

-No, I will not be, because I am one of the organizers. 

-Will this become an annual Olympiad? Is there a chance that this competition could be turned into an international one?

-Yes, it will be a recurring competition; and yes, we are thinking of making it an international 
Olympiad. We received a message from the Buryat Republic’s Opera Theatre, requesting participation in the Olympiad. There will be around 10 singers coming from Buryat. You can say that this can be considered as “international level.” We couldn’t deny that this competition could become an international one. 

-Tell us about D. Bandi, what was he like?

-He was a modest, soft person. People who knew him would always like to be with him all the time. He never got upset or mad at people. He taught by saying exact, precise, and effective words. His words were powerful although they were not in a frustrated or angry tone. I would think about his disappointed words day and night, when he said them to me. 

He began working as a teacher in 1998. In the short time of 10 years, he trained many talented lead singers, including my teacher U. Uyanga. I miss my teacher. When I placed first place at the M.I. Glink’s Opera Festival in Moscow, I thought of my teacher. I wished he was alive and well. If he is watching me now, I think he would be happy about his pupils and me. 

His laugh was very pleasant. I remember it very clearly. He has a son who is also an opera singer. He currently lives in Germany, and we have invited him to the Olympiad. 

I am proud of my teacher every day, every hour. He was part of every Mongolian opera play that ever occurred, and almost always the lead singer. He used to tell me once you have this profession, ‘You have no right to be sick or ill.’ He told me that he only got three passes to be relieved from duty for a short period of time throughout his whole career, and they were not due to illness. 

G. Khaidav and D. Bandi were the first opera singers at the State Theatre of Opera and Ballet. Many young singers joined the Theatre when it was first built and went into operation. It has been 50 years since then; and my teacher carried a lot of weight on his shoulders during these years. 

-You said you wished D. Bandi was with you at the M.I. Glink’s Opera Festival. Please tell us more about that day when you received the prize.

-Before I entered this competition in Moscow, I made sure I prepared myself psychologically. I thought to myself, ‘I’m getting on that stage no matter what. Let’s not worry about it.’ 

I think because of my preparation, I did not feel uncomfortable on M.I. Glink’s stage. When the last 15 contestants remained, I really thought about my teacher a lot. I felt like he was standing next to me. I thought, ‘Teacher, I am about to perform on this stage.’ 

The results were not immediately released. They said that the results would be posted online. So everyone was waiting and watching the website. Then the results appeared and my name was on the top. I thought maybe they put something else; maybe it was a bug, I thought, because I couldn’t believe it. I did not know who to ask about this. But our guys kept telling me that it was right and I had won. I thanked my teacher so much for giving me the inspiration in this art.

I immediately went back to Mongolia and I showed my appreciation to all my consultant teachers. As my teacher is gone, I had many teachers from the University of Arts and Culture advising me. 

-What projects are you involved in currently?

-As a singer, I thought I would release a Mongolian music CD of my own. In Mongolia, most people do not really understand opera singing. In May, I will release an album with 10 songs. I have collaborated with famous Mongolian composers like N. Jantsannorov and T. Ser-Od. 

-What are your future goals and aims?

-I will participate in a number of competitions in 2013, so I’m preparing for that. Besides that, I need to improve my foreign language skills; right now I have plans to attend a foreign language course. Not only singers, but workers and researchers in every field do not make progress without knowing English language. 

-National Author B. Lkhagvasuren has praised you so much. What do you think about this?

-Yes, he said, ‘If I go to my homeland, this man will come after me. If he goes to his homeland, I will come after him.’ 

I met him on the World Poetry Day, when artists were performing. We have talked a bit and we realized we both shared a homeland. Ever since I was a kid, I used to read his poems and was very proud. Recently he gave me powerful lyrics for a song. I am doing my best to turn them into a good song.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog